Severe leg pain during long rides. Taking treatment for S1 an L5 injuries and neuropathic pain. Concerned

I have severe leg pain during long car rides. I am being treated for S1 an L5 injuries as well as severe neuropathic pain in my left femur due to multiple breaks several years ago. Is there anything I can do to prevent this pain?
Posted Thu, 19 Jul 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 2 hours later

Do you mean severe leg pain when you drive the car? If so it may be because of tight accelerator / brakes. Service them to suit to your needs. This is so because in order to use them you need to flex the plantar muscles (in the foot) which are innervated by tibial nerve which is a peripheral nerve from S1 spinal segment. The leg pain increases on constant use.

Second you should not sit for longer durations at any time, ideally not more than 15 minutes. Sitting can increase the stress on the lower back by 40%.

You should take pain modulators like Gabapentin, Mecobalamin from the treating physician.

Physiotherapy ( pain relieving exericses) and practice of yoga especially few asanas (postures) is highly recommended in consulting the doctor.

Let me know if I can address further.

Follow-up: Severe leg pain during long rides. Taking treatment for S1 an L5 injuries and neuropathic pain. Concerned 1 hour later
It's actually pain when I am the passenger. I think they are like muscle spasms. We have a 15 hour drive this week and I was very uncomfortable on our drive here (weare on vacation). Do you think I should check with a local urgent care or cvs clinic for medications for the drive back?
Answered by Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar 6 hours later
Yes if you travel back takes long hours in the car I ask you to take appropriate muscle relaxants at the urgent care. Nothing is better than frequent breaks at every rest house.

If you do not have further queries you may close the discussion and rate my answer.