Severe left knee pain, hard lump, persistent joint pain. Taken Ibuprofen. No relief. What could be the reason?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi, My 12 year old son, who is currently playing baseball and basketball, has been complaining of severe knee pain in his left knee for about a month. Just recently, we noticed a bump that you can put your maybe half of your hand around but it's more like a hard lump and does not appear to be big and swollen. There is no discoloration or bruising. He says when he starts to straighten his knee he feels a "click." He had a baseball game this morning and started really favoring his knee during the game. Today is the first day he does not want to walk on it at all and in lots of pain. We've been icing it on and off with ibuprofen but he's still in pain. He has been complaining of joint pain for years because he has grown a lot these past 2 years...he's over 5"8 and 145 lbs and just turned 12. The knee pain is new and I'm concerned ...planning on taking him to the doctor on Monday. He has baseball practice tomorrow and playoffs starting this week. He is their starting pitcher, best 1st baseman and clean up hitter. Any ideas on what this could be? As you can imagine, he's most concerned about making it to his practice and games this week.
Thank you for your advice.
A Very Concerned Mom,
Posted Fri, 25 May 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
From your description, it seems that your son must have hurt his XXXXXXX structures in knee while playing, which are anterior/posterior cruciate ligament, medial/lateral collateral ligament, medial and lateral menisci, joint capsule, synovium, crossing muscles, bone cartilage or bone itself. It needs proper clinical examination and relevant investigations to diagnose which among these is hurt. X-rays and MRI (Magnetic Resonant Imaging) are the best investigations to diagnose the problem. Soft tissue or ligament injury is a more likely possibility.

Right now I do not feel that he should continue his sports activities. Adequate rest to knee, avoiding weight bearing, cold compress and mild pain killers will be helpful. A pair of knee supports or a knee brace can add to the stability. But that again depends on his exact condition.
Please do consult his orthopedician for investigations so that specific treatment can be started early.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.