Severe knee pain. Not cured by medicine. MRI done. Is this curable?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My Mom is suffering from severe knee pain, medication can't help from last two months, Please advice me as per attach MRI report, Is this pain is curable and what is cause of pain and how it will treated, and from which medication can get relief from this pain, because our Doctor is out of station for some days, so require some medicine urgently.
Posted Wed, 27 Mar 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 minutes later
The MRI scan report is suggestive of degenerative changes in the knee joint.
Her knee joint has undergone osteoarthritic changes. These are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Right now she can start taking Tablet Tylenol ( Acetaminophen/ Paracetamol) Double Strength after breakfast and after dinner. It is suggested to add calcium supplements 500mg each twice daily. This will take care of her mild symptoms in 3-5 days. In case the pain is not relieved then stronger prescription pain killers may be required after a physical examination.
She can start with hot fomentation, walking and aerobic fitness exercises, quadriceps strengthening, patellar tapping, lateral heel wedges, etc- under the guidance of a physiotherapist.
A Big No to Stair case, squatting postures, any chair which has a sitting platform lower than the knees.
Knee brace can also be used for an earlier and prolonged relief.
In severe cases intra articular injections of steroids and hyaluronic acid may be needed after consultation with the orthopaedician.
The treatment can decrease the further progression of these degenerative changes. The permanent cure is knee replacement which is considered if the medical treatment is not helpful.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Severe knee pain. Not cured by medicine. MRI done. Is this curable? 23 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your reply,
Like to know, as per MRI report, how is the condition of knee, is anything serious or it can be cure by medicine and injection.
Please Reply,
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 10 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The condition of the knee is not very serious. The symptoms can be taken care of using regular medicines and local steroid injections. Please do not worry.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.