Severe itching on the arms, stomach and lower back. Sudden weight gain. Blood test reports normal. On depo provera

Hi my name is XXXXXXX Over the past three weeks ive been itching and scratching so much on my arms, stomach waist line and lower back. I have created scabs from scratching. I have has labs for cholestetol and diabetes and its normal. I have gained 6lbs in about a month. My breast itch as well and appear larger. I am 29 y/o african american. No major health issues. Im on depo provera i take it faithfully i took urine pregnacy tests they are all negative
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Tanusree Biswas 14 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX .Welcome to XXXXXXX
Thanks for sharing your concern with us.

The itching in your case might be due to multiple reasons.One of the most common causes of generalized itching in an otherwise healthy person might be infestation with parasite like the itch mite or Scabies.The sites that you mention are common sites of lesion in case of scabies.
You may start having oral anti histaminic tablets like Allegra or Cetrizine to reduce the itching.Scabies is treated with application on topical 1% Permethrin cream on whole body overnight for one night and repeating the application after 7 days again for 1 night.The clothing's/beddings etc should be laundered well.
You should also watch out for bed bugs in your house and take appropriate measures.
I would also advise you to undergo a systemic examination with your doctor to investigate the cause of sudden weight gain.
Hope this is helpful to you.I will be happy to answer any follow up queries, if you have.
Wish you good health,