Severe hip pain. Had a mirena iud inserted. History of enlarged uterus. Any advice?

Ok I'm a 29 year old female. I have a 10 month old baby. During my 2 trimester I started having severe hip pain, hard time walking, I couldn't sleep I would cry by night time because it hurt so bad. Anyway after I had him I still had bad hip pain for atleast a month. I had a mirena iud inserted 8 weeks postpartum. 3 weeks later had extreme lower abdominal pain left sided thing and pelvic pain. The dr said I had PID from insertion I took antibiotics. On and off I have had pelvic pain that runs down my left thigh its pretty severe. It makes it very hard to walk with out limping :( I XXXXXXX know if any of this is related. This past week the pain as been extremely bad and I'm having a very hard time walking.

I also have a history of an enlarged uterus and I believe 4 fibroids. I was recommended to have hysterectomy at 26 but I wanted another child.

Also I have been sick with one thing or another mince January of this year. I hade influenza a in January. I have had several stomach viruses. The last one I had I was in ICU for 3 days due to metabolic acidosis from sever diarrhea that was about 4 weeks ago.

I'm at my wits end :( too young to have problems. I'm a nurse and I work for an infectious disease dr. He thinks the mirena is the cause for all of these problems. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I forgot to mention. It is my inner thigh, groin area. Sorry for misspelled words on my iPhone and it likes to auto correct everything. Thanks again!
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 5 hours later
thanks for the query.
Hip pain could be caused by either affections of the hip/structures around the hip or by referred pain ( pain originating from elsewhere). During pregnancy, there are two possibilities of hip pain, relaxation of ligaments and compression of nerves.Though this pain could be severe, pain usually resolves following delivery and this probably explains the pain you were feeling during your pregnancy. Another possible cause is an arthritis which could be aggravated by increasing weight of the pregnancy but should improve as well following delivery.

From the description you have given for the second pain, ( originating in lower abdomen and radiating to thigh), it sounds more like a referred pain rather than pain originating from the hip. Compression of nerves (symptomatic fibroids) and pelvic infections could lead to hip pain. In as much as the pain could originate from the pelvis, it is possible that the pain could as well originate from the lumber region. If you have a history of back pain which radiates to your thigh, then you might be suffering from a sciatica.

However, all we could say now will only be hypothesis with the real diagnosis yet to be confirmed after physical evaluation and laboratory test. I will recommend you do the following;
-an x-ray of the hip; to rule out arthritis or fracture
-pelvic ultrasound; to check for infections, renal and bladder stones and to re-evaluate the size of the uterus viz a viz compression
-an ESR to check if there is an on going inflammation.
IUD is a risk factor for pelvic infections and XXXXXXX had an infection following the insertion, a pelvic infection could be more likely to be the cause of your problem and in this case removal of the IUD will be the best option.

Hope this helps.If you have follow up query or clarifications, i will be happy to help.
Best regards.

Follow-up: Severe hip pain. Had a mirena iud inserted. History of enlarged uterus. Any advice? 17 minutes later
Thank you. I'm going to schedule the removal of the iud ASAP. I hope that is the cause. If I still have problems after the removal i will definitely have the X-ray, us, and blood work. Thanks again!
Answered by Dr. Achuo Ascensius 3 hours later
thanks once more for writing.
Hope that helps. I will be more than happy to know the outcome and to make further contributions. At all time, your query shall be welcome and i shall be very happy to response.
If you do not have further query now, you could close the discussion and rate the answer.
Best regards