Severe headaches if not eating properly. Treatment options?

Neurologist
Question
Hi. I am XXXXXXX. I suffer from frequent headaches. Atleast weekly once. Whenever I dont eat properly I experience headache. Even a small miss in eating schedule causes headaches. It will be in one half of head.
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for the query

From the information given to me it looks like you are suffering from vascular headache, also known as migraine. “’Triggers” are specific factors that may increase your risk of having a migraine attack. People with migraine have a sensitive nervous system that under certain circumstances can lead to migraine.
Common dietary triggers for are skipping meals, fasting and use of certain foods like cheese, chocolates, and so on. However it is not specific and can vary from individual to individual. By keeping a headache diary (where you log in the details of the day and whether you had a headache or not), you will be able to identify some triggers for your particular headaches. Once you have identified triggers, it will be easier for you to avoid them and reduce your chances of having a migraine attack.
One of the trigger for migraine in you is skipping your meals and avoiding this may lessen your attacks. In addition you need prophylactic medications to prevent it from becoming more chronic in the future. Commonly used medications are Beta blockers, calcium channel blockers like Flunarizine and Topiramate. You may also need NSAIDS and abortive medications like triptans for severe attack. Tablet Aspirin 325 mg as and when needed with food will help to take care of an acute attack. However, the rest of the medications are prescription drugs and I would suggest you see your treating physician for the same.
I am sorry you are dealing with this frustrating concern and I hope you can find yourself in better health soon with the help of your Neurologist. You need to be on medications to prevent migraine becoming more chronic in the future.
Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Severe headaches if not eating properly. Treatment options? 38 minutes later
But How can it be so sensitive, while it is not for others. I get headaches only when I dont eat properly or miss my eating schedule. But sometimes, it cannot be avoided, considering the daily schedule. But this headache is not out of control. Now is this headache due to acidity or gastric problem. Can this headache be overcame if the gastric problem is addressed. Can you please suggest some medicines to overcome this headache problem.

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 10 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

As i mentioned earlier, People with migraine have a sensitive nervous system that under certain circumstances can lead to migraine and you are one of them. Gastritis or acidity does not cause headache. However, migraine and acidity are closely related due to common precipitating factors like stress. You can try medications for gastric problem and see if you respond. Medications like Ranitidine, Omeprazole and Pantoprozole can be tried for acidity. However, these are prescription drugs and would require you to see a physician. However, they would produce little or no relief in your headache.

Sincerely,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist

Follow-up: Severe headaches if not eating properly. Treatment options? 25 minutes later
So Should I see a neurologist. Can you suggest any neurologist in bangalore.
How bad is it if I take saridon two weeks once. What should I do when I get headache. Should I avoid taking the tablet. Can I see a eye specialist for this if this is because of some eye problem

Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 53 minutes later
Thanks for getting back.

Seeing a neurologist is a good option. Taking pain killers like Saridon once in a is not bad. Frequent use can cause side effects like gastritis and renal problems. Check with an eye specialist to rule out refractive errors and binocular visual problems. This could be contributing to the headache but are unlikely to cause one sided headache on their own.

A list of the neurologists in Bangalore can be found at WWW.WWWW.WW

Wishing you good health,

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Consultant Neurologist & Epileptologist