Severe headache, nausea. Is it a serious condition?

The morning my brother woke up and having really pinching kind of headache on right front side his head and he is having vomiting feelings also but not able to vomit. What could be the reason? Could it be serious? He is not able to sleep also because of this. He hasn't had this kind of pain before. Please suggest.

Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 16 minutes later
Having continuous headache on right front side of head without any history of migraines or head injury may be due to-
1. Anxiety/ tension- try to relax him, decrease alcohol or caffeine intake, take a mild sedative for a good and restful sleep, do mild aerobics, etc.
2. Eyestrain-Straining your eyes to focus on things can be a big factor of what causes headaches. He needs to get his eyes examined for refraction.
4. High blood pressure- your physician can rule this out.
5.Migraine- It may occur with symptoms such as nausea, vomiting, or sensitivity to light along with a throbbing pain only on one side of the head. Drugs like domperidone and naproxen will help to bring relief but these should be taken only under the guidance of your physician.
All the above causes need to be excluded with the help of your physician.
If the headache is not getting relieved with mild pain killers then you can try some herbal preparations for the same.
Also, i would advise you to get an MRI head and neck done to rule out any organic causes if none of the above causes seem likely.
Hope this answers your query.I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Follow-up: Severe headache, nausea. Is it a serious condition? 1 hour later

Thank you for the quick reply.
I have got him checked. The doctor said there is no blood pressure problem. He had vomited thrice since morning right after taking water and milk. He is feeling pretty week and giddiness now. As such he is not feeling any eyestrain or any sort of tension. Doctor has given him an injection for quick relief but it is not at all helping him. He is still feeling too much of head ache.

Please suggest what should I do.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

If Hypertension, eye strain, anxiety, etc are ruled out, then most likely cause is Migraine. You can ask your physician to prescribe anti migraine drugs with stronger pain killers like naproxen for relief.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing your brother a trouble free speedy recovery.