Severe headache lasts for few seconds, stiff neck, problem in looking at light

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I am having severe headaches that last for about 2-10 seconds .
I also have stiff neck and I find it very hard to look at light what is wrong
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Intermittent severe headaches with a stiff neck are likely to be due to cervical spondylosis. It can be induced by wrong neck position while sleeping or using computer for long hours.
An X-ray of neck and MRI will help in confirming the diagnosis.
Problem in looking at light might be a related problem or you might be having a refractive error. An examination by an ophthalmologist will help in ruling out any eye problem.
Other possible causes include infection of head and spine, migraine, etc. A thorough examination and investigations by your physician are entailed for diagnosis.
Meanwhile you can take mild pain killers like tylenol and do hot fomentation for a short term relief.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.