Severe headache and from past 4 days scalp pain. Taking head bath, applying gel. Anything serious?

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Question
hi i am 28 years old i have been taking head bath daily from past 8 years + and been applying gel or wax for my hair and recently been getting sever headache and from past 4 days scalp pain, what is the reason is it serious has i read online the symptom may also be due to sinus or even skin cancer?
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 17 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query on Health Care magic.

Regular head bathing and applying gel & wax are unlikely to cause scalp pain.
Scalp pain for four days has severel reasons.
Sinus infection will cause associated nasal drip, post nasal drip, cheek pain, forehead pain, etc depending on the sinus involved.
Pain is not a specific feature of skin cancer.

Headaches are of many types and the treatment also varies.
I am mentioning few of them.
1. Migraine: Associated with XXXXXXX like disorientation, diplopia, etc.
2. Cluster headache: One half of the head is usually involved.
3. Head ache associated with work involving concentration like reading, sewing, etc. This indicates refractive error of the eye. An opthalmologist should be consulted for these symptoms.
4. Throbbing pain especially in the temples: Indicates immune mediated disease like giant cell arteritis. ESR and vessel biopsy should be done.

These are just few possibilities for the headache.

If you have more queries, I will be glad to answer.
Dr Shailja P Wahal

Follow-up: Severe headache and from past 4 days scalp pain. Taking head bath, applying gel. Anything serious? 4 hours later
Ok thank you.

i have got my eye tested so that has no problem with the eye whom should i consult now?

Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 24 minutes later
Hello and welcome again,

Now that your eye sight is fine you need to visit a neurologist.
If a neurologist is not available in your locality, you can visit a physician.

Dr Shailja P Wahal