Severe hair loss, tingling mouth, burning scalp and eyes after hysterectomy. Thyroid issue?

I had a complete hysterectomy 3 years ago. Since then, I have had severe dry burning scalp and eyes. I also have some burning in my throat and tingling around my mouth and nose at times. My hair loss is severe; I have had to wear a wig for nearly a year now. My thyroid tests are normal. I have tried taking estradiol and bio-identical progesterone but nothing seems to alleviate the symptoms. Could this be a thyroid issue even though my thyroid tests are normal? The symptoms seem to be alleviated temporarily with the use of antihistamines. I am desperate - thank you for your help.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 22 hours later
The specific complaints of dry itchy skin, eyes and scalp occurring after hysterectomy is basically due to low levels of estrogen. Estrogen is responsible for collagen production and body oils, so once the level of estrogen diminishes, skin becomes dry thin and itchy.
Similar symptoms of dryness of skin and hair fall can occur in hypothyroidism but if your thyroid profile is in normal range, we cannot implicate it for the same.
To help you out with your condition
1) continue with hormone replacement therapy( estrogen and progesterone)
2) take food XXXXXXX in omega fatty acids like salmons, walnuts, soy products and flax seed oils as these hydrate our skin by maintaining skin oil barrier. You may also take multivitamin and omega fatty acid supplements
3) use mild soap and shampoo to cleanse
4) apply an intensive moisturiser twice or thrice in a day like cetaphil restoraderm over body and face
5) for burning eyes, you may use carboxymethyl cellulose eye drops like lubrifresh or refresh tear eye drop.
6) massage your scalp with warm olive oil at least twice in a week to tackle dryness. Always use a mild shampoo and conditioner to wash hair. Do not shampoo daily. Hair loss after menopause is common as level of androgens increase in body post menopause and hysterectomy and in such cases of female pattern hair loss, minoxidil 2 percent 1 ml twice in a day application over scalp would help. However treatment needs to be continued for months.

As the symptoms are basically due to hysterectomy induced menopause , the only way to treat the condition is to replenish the required hormones and nutrients from outside.
Hope that helps.