Severe flu,malaise,fatigue,sore throat,sneezing,virus,cold,ENT

I am a 57 y.o. w/m, 200lbs with recent Rx for blood pressure and cardiac function whom just contracted some sort of severe (flu?) virus and have suffered with a very high fever (almost 103) at night or whenever laying down. This has been accompanied by the 'usual', malaise, fatigue, weakness, 'achy all over', headache and very painful (as in 'burning') sore throat with some UR congestion, cough. Just yesterday these symptoms evolved to include sneezing.

I normally wouldn't bother anyone as past viruses have NEVER gone beyond 3 days and rarely over 101* fever. I am now going my 6th day and the fever persists with strong tremors and 'shakes' accompanying the chills alternating with a feeling of intense overheating of the brain...

What can you recommend at this point?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in General Health
Follow-up: Severe flu,malaise,fatigue,sore throat,sneezing,virus,cold,ENT 17 minutes later
Basically, please advise as to the 'urgency' of this extended 'fever/sore throat' symptom picture in combination with the basic regional flu outbreaks and/or 'Swine Flu' and whether local Physician (uninsured) is worthy of consultation - versus going straight to the emergency room.

Also, is there any chance that all this cold be something much more 'ominous' below the surface and worthy of a full medical work-up? (including labs, X-rays, etc.) It simply seems that I get WAY too many ENT and URI problems for a guy that is supposed to be a healthy and competitive tennis player. Diet is good with little alcohol consumption and NO cigarette smoking EVER!
Answered by Dr. Sumanth.P 1 hour later

Since you are suffering from this symptoms for the past 6 days it is wise to consult a physician.

And if you have local outbreaks of flu, it is very important to consult a physician as early as possible, since swine flu can present with any of your mentioned symptoms.

And regarding visiting emergency or consulting a physician on a out patient basis is
based on severity of your symptoms.

Till you consult a doctor you use antipyretics and analgesics.

You strictly see that you do not expose to cold environment and keep yourself as warm as possible.

For sore throat you do salt water gargling with warm water atleast 4-5 times a day
is very helpful for sore throat.

Also see that you are not dehydrated so drink more warm water or milk and tender coconut water.

You can also drink glucose mixed in warm water and drink on and off to restore energy levels.

If your temparature shoots up you can also go for tepid sponging along with anti-pyretics.

But I suggest you to consult a physician as early as possible.

Hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you speedy recovery.