Severe endometriosis, bilateral endometriomas, bulky uterus. Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, biopsy done. Causes and what is pelvic clearance?

Two weeks ago I had a laparoscopy, hysteroscopy and d and c. I have just received a copy of the letter sent to my GP. It says I have severe endometriosis, bilateral endometriomas, obliteration of the Pouch of XXXXXXX that they drained endometriomas and surface endo on ovaries of back of uterus. It also said I have a bulky uterus and that samples of thickened womb lining were sent for biopsy. Could you please tell me possible causes of the bulky uterus and thickened womb lining and also clarify what pelvic clearance is as surgeon wrote he suspects I will need this once my fertility is no longer an issue. I also have PCOS. I'm 37 and have never been pregnant. I have been trying to conceive for 2.5 years.
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 3 hours later
Bulky uterus refers to mild hypertrophy of uterine musculature. It is a normal physiological variation and is not indicative of any pathology.
Thickened womb lining may be due to endometriosis, certain infections, due to hormonal influence, etc. The cause can be ascertained once you get the biopsy report.
Since you have a heavy endometriosis, your surgeon suspects that you might need a surgical removal of your pelvic organs once the fertility issues have been taken care of.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
Follow-up: Severe endometriosis, bilateral endometriomas, bulky uterus. Laparoscopy, hysteroscopy, biopsy done. Causes and what is pelvic clearance? 5 minutes later
Sorry, for follow-up question. Which pelvic organs exactly? Would it have to include ovaries? The information on the internet is confusing. I forgot to mention in the information I provided that the surgery showed I have only one patent fallopian tube, the distal end of the other is buried in adhesions behind my uterus.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 10 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.
The pelvic organs may include uterus and ovaries and other structures which might be affected by endometriosis at that time. This depends on the extent of spread of the disease and the extent of scarring. But this procedure will be undertaken only after you complete your family.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.