Severe ear pain, spreading to jaw & head, dizziness & ringing sound in ear, pink fluid discharge. Taken tylenol, sinus OTC med.

ENT Specialist
Question
Severe ear pain last 6 hours or so, I had been nursing a head cold for a few days. Pain became very severe last 2-3 hours, spread to my jaw and head. I became dizzy and am hearing an echo inside my ear. I took a couple of tylenol and a sinus med (otc) to help reduce the pressure. It is now down to a dull ache. Something popped or broke earlier (about an hour ago) and it was very painful. Now I can't hear well out of it and it is leaking fluid, tinged pink.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 49 minutes later
Hi

Thanks for the query

As of now you have been suffering from Acute Suppurative Otitis Media (ASOM) secondary to the OTC medicines and it worsened your URTI leading to Sinusitis and ASOM. Acute sinusitis was caused due to URTI leading to blockage of the sinuses and the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear). The symptoms of the sinusitis were severe facial pain spreading to the jaw, dizziness and pressure inside the nose. Similarly, due to blockage of the Eustachian tube there was negative pressure inside the middle ear leading to accumulation of the fluid behind the ear drum. When the pressure continued to build up, you developed acute earache and echoing of the ears. Ultimately, the ear drum gave away leading to pinkish ear discharge (a mixture of blood and the middle ear secretions.

This is the normal sequence which happens in ASOM. Do not worry; you will be alright if intervened as soon as possible. You need to follow home remedies such as steam inhalation 2-3 times/day and drinking plenty of warm water. Apart from this you will require medications such as ear drops (containing antibiotic and a steroid), a broad spectrum oral antibiotic, nasal decongestant, and a pain killer (such as diclofenac/ibuprofen). Consult your doctor at the earliest for a complete evaluation and management.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon