Severe dry cough, not chest related. wants to use cifran 500 medication. Cifran the correct medication ?

can i use cifran 500 for a pretty severe cough, wich is a dry cough and i couh it from my trout not from my chest. It started two days ago
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 24 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

I understand you would need help for your dry cough.

You would need an antibiotic (like Cifran) only when a bacterial infection is visible - fever, productive cough - which I do not think in your case.

Dry cough may not necessarily mean infection, and the home therapy would suffice. Try warm salt water gargling 4-5 times/day, drink hot beverages, cut out cold food/drinks.

Observe for 3-4 days, if worsening to more sore throat and above symptoms (indicative of prescription, after examination by the physician.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.