Severe drop in thyroid. Had cervical disk fusion surgery on C4,5, and 6. Can surgery cause this ?

i had cervical disk fusion surgery on C4,5, adn 6. Now i have had a severe drop in my thyroid , the blood tests came back reading 56.6 for my ths. Can this surgery cause thyroid problems.
Posted Thu, 12 Jul 2012 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Answered by Dr. Anantharaman 1 hour later

There are many reasons by which you may develop hypothyroidism. The commonest cause is autoimmune thyroid disease. You can test whether you have this by doing an anti thyroperoxidase antibody (Anti TPO) test.

Post operative and post radiotherapy hypothyroidism are also known after surgery or radiation to the neck. This may happen if the approach or incision is in front of your neck.

Whatever the cause for the thyroid damage, treatment is easy with thyroid hormone. The only downside I can think of is that you may need to take the thyroid hormone lifelong - usually most people with hypothyroidism manage this easily.

I suggest you consult your endocrinologist and start your thyroid supplementation soon. You will start feeling better in a couple of weeks.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need any more information.