Severe diarrhea, abdominal pain and weight loss. Feeling dizzy after taking antibiotic. Safe remedy?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
My relative is seriously unwell.he has had 5 weeks of severe diarrhoea,excrutiating abdominal pain,severe weight loss and antibiotics made him worse and dizzy. He had an endoscopy where they said he has an eroded intestinal lining now. He passes food 1 minute after eating,in exactly as it was before eating it. He works in a mine and thinks they had been drinking rusty water. Help please
Posted Sat, 2 Feb 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 10 hours later
Thanks for writing in.
The cause of the diarrhoea should have been ascertained. The patient's bacterial flora seems to have been totally destroyed. In view of the seriousness of his condition I would suggest the following measures.
1. admission to hospital as early as possible.
2. carry out a battery of tests CBC, liver function tests, BUN, creatinine and electrolyte evaluation, stool culture, usg of the abdomen, viral markers.
3. IV fluid therapy to prevent dehydration and the possibility of renal failure.
4. high crabohydrate liquid diet till his bowel motility comes back to normal.
5. glutamine infusions to improve the healing and function of the gut.
6. supplements of commensal bacterial cultures may also help.
Definitive antibiotic treatment can only be commenced after studying the reports.
He should stay in hospital till all the symptoms are brought well under control.
I hope this answers your querry.