Severe depression, no weight on shoulders, chest, arms, excess on lower body. Treatment ?

Question
During childhood & through my teen years I have suffered alot of XXXXXXX depression because of this I strongly believe my body has suffered I have not any weight on my shoulders, chest & arm area, the bottom half of my body has all the weight its like there is a blockage stopping fat & muscle growth in the top half of my body, it is very visible.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Rahul Tawde 32 hours later

Distribution of fat and muscle on different parts of body is dependent on many factors like genetics, nutrition, physical activity, hormonal factors,anthropometry, and medical conditions if there are any. Depression can be associated with weight loss, loss of fat and muscle mass if it is associated with reduced food intake. I also want you to remember that depression can be associated with weight gain also.

In both these instances, it has a generalised effect rather than affecting a particular organ or region of the body.

"So I dont think your depression was responsible for the pattern of fat and muscle distribution you have described".

Most probable cause for your problem is disuse atrophy of your muscles when you had depression. It could also be related to genetic factors which are not easy to find out.

Whatever may be underlying cause for your problem the solution is to build your muscles on the upper half of your body. This can best be done with exercising your musles of that region. You need to visit a Fitness center and learn how to do this.

Short of this I'm not aware of any oral medication which is going to help your problem. You seem to be bothered more about finding the cause of problem rather than finding a solution. I can assure you that there is no blockage stopping fat & muscle growth in your upper parts. Either they have not developed or they have atrophied for some reason. The only solution is to try to build muscle mas in these regions. There are some cosmetic surgeries for causing fat redistribution which can be tried if necessary.

Hope my answer is adequate and informative. I am available to address further queries that you might have. Write back to me if you have further query.