Severe cough. Dust and smoke allergy. Medication?

I have severe cough alergy, dust & smoke are things which I cannot avoid totally. What medicine can help me reduce the alergy
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

I understand your concern.

By your description I presume you are suffering from sever cough, and you think that it is allergic in nature.

There are many reasons for sever cough. To name a few;

1. Infection of the pharynx.
2. Tonsillitis.
3. Allergy to dust/pollen/smoke.
4. Infection of the lungs (acute/chronic).
5. Inflammatory conditions of the lungs.
6. Cardiac(Heart related) conditions.

A diagnosis can only be made after a complete history and detailed physical examination and certain investigations like X-ray chest, Complete blood counts, Sputum examination, CT scan of the chest(Choice of investigation depends on the outcome of the physical examination and history).

In order to be able to advise you further, it would be great if you could describe your condition in detail, like;

1. When did all these problems start?
2. How often do you get these symptoms?
3. Is it continuous in nature?
4. Do you have any other associated symptom like fever, headache, running nose, wheezing?
5. Do you have a sore throat?
6. Is your cough productive, (Do you get sputum)?
7. Do you have any blood in your sputum?
8. Have you noticed any rise in the body temperature, especially in the evenings?
9. Have you lost weight recently?
10. Have you lost appetite recently?
11. Do you smoke?
12. Have you ever consulted a doctor for this problem? What did the doctor tell you regarding your condition?
13. Are you currently taking any medicines for the same? If yes what are they?

The medication/treatment depends on the diagnosis(Disease). Without the benefit of having examined you, I will not be able to advise you regarding the exact treatment options.

I can give you a broad overview.

1. If it is upper respiratory tract or lower respiratory tract infection of a short duration, it can be treated with oral or intravenous antibiotics.

2. If it is allergic in nature, the treatment would consist of anti allergic medications like anti histamines, mast cell stabilizers and bronchodialators.

The treatment will depend upon the exact cause.

Hope I have answered your query.

Do write back to me with all the details if you wish to, so that I can advise you better.