Severe constipation despite maintaining good diet. Need help

I had minor constipation problem for many years. But since few months the problem has become more mojor.
I do drink lot of water, eat fruits. But this problem still remains same.
Can you help.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You are suffering from constipation from long time. You are taking increased amount of water and fruits too.
There are various other methods to prevent constipation like:
1. Bowel retraining - this may provide relief for people who have gotten into the habit of ignoring the urge. If a tight schedule has produced a tight sphincter, it may help to sit on a toilet, about 20 minutes each morning to encourage return of reflexes that have disappeared. Straining is not recommended, since it may lead to tightening of muscles that should be relaxed. Never neglect an urge to pass stools.

2. Rectal suppositories - helpful in providing lubrication and in stimulating the defecation reflex. They are usually composed of glycerin, which is sometimes blended with sodium stearate, a fatty acid. You can get this prescribed by a Physician.

3. Limit foods that have little or no fiber, such as ice cream, cheese, meat and processed foods.

4. Use Probiotics, such as lactobacillus acidophilus, that are naturally present in the digestive tract. Naturally you will find this in Yoghurt.

Other well known method is Biofeed back therapy. You will be shown how to do these exercises. Biofeedback is a behavioral approach that can be used by some people with severe chronic constipation. During defecation, the muscles of the pelvic floor and external anal sphincter should relax as a person bears down. Biofeedback can be helpful in treating people who involuntarily squeeze (rather than relax) these muscles. I hope this will help you.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.