Severe breast tenderness. Got off zoloft. Had sex. Other signs of pregnancy to worry about?

May 2013
My girlfriend is experiencing pretty severe breast tenderness. She has felt it, getting worse?, over the past week and it is beginning to worry us. She has just recently gone off of her Zoloft medicine that she had been taking for the last year/year and a half. I have been able to tell a difference in her mood, like more hostility and abnormally emotional. I was wondering what the cause could be for her discomfort. I think she has another week before we are close to getting her period and we are sexually active. I have never finished inside of her but we have started without a condom before. So, naturally the possibility of pregnancy is worrying her. Are there other signs that we should be noticing? I am thinking that it is a symptom of her Zoloft withdrawal if anything but I am not sure how those two would tie together. Please help. I think that she gets stressed very easily and coming off medicine coupled with pressure at work is giving her quite a bit.
Posted Fri, 8 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
thanks for the query.

According to your description the possibilities are,

-Sertraline discontinuation syndrome:
Zoloft is Sertraline hydrochloride, which is used as antidepressant.
abrupt cessation of sertraline intake can cause this syndrome.
It is characterized by irritability, nervousness, emotional lability, anger, insomnia, depression etc.
by restarting the drug with same dose or with smaller dose and then by stopping the drug gradually over a period of 2 to 3 weeks this syndrome can be treated.

-Pre menstrual syndrome: these symptoms especially breast tenderness can be seen in pre menstrual syndrome which occurs during luteal phase of menstrual cycle.

Now you better visit local gynecologist and let her discuss with your friend to rule out the cause to her symptoms, depending on that she can take treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please do not forget to accept it.
take care
Follow-up: Severe breast tenderness. Got off zoloft. Had sex. Other signs of pregnancy to worry about? 1 hour later
Well the Zoloft discontinuation syndrome doesn't seem to include any breast tenderness. I think that the syndrome is definitely the cause of her emotional changes and what I have noticed about her mood. To our count, it appears to be too early for her to PMS and she usually doesn't have this type of pain. I think that she will be seeing a gyno soon for a routine check-up and I am sure that it will come up then.

Do you think that it could be a factor of the Zoloft discontinuation?

What would you suggest if someone just mentioned of breast soreness/tenderness and wasn't taking Zoloft?

I am just trying to get a whole understanding because everything I read about the Zoloft discontinuation said the same thing that you did above and didn't really mention this particular system. Thank you for your quick response.
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 16 hours later

As per my knowledge breast tenderness is not known to occur in Zoloft discontinuation syndrome.
But this is mentioned as one of the rare side effect of Zoloft in one article, I am giving the link below.
If anybody complains of breast tenderness we will try to find out the cause like,
-whether she is pregnant or not, as it can occur in early pregnancy
-premenstrual syndrome
-recent dietary changes like high intake of caffeine
-usage of oc pills
-presence of mastitis or breast abscess
-benign or malignant breast diseases
depending on the cause treatment will be given.

You better visit once the doctor who prescribed her the Zoloft drug and explain him her problem he may suggest you further treatment.

Wishing good health to your girl friend, If you are satisfied with my response please accept it.
take care.