Severe back pain with burning sensation. Any solution?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Have Back Pain going on 3 weeks, right side from shoulder blade to a bit bellow ribcage. Any movement or prolong upright posture is painful . If i sit straight and bend my head forward my back hurts and a bit of burning sensation too.
Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 33 minutes later

According to the clinical history provided the back pain could be part of a mechanical back pain complex of symptoms. This mechanical back pain is caused due to bad posture at work, long work-hours in particular position, lack of proper sleep or healthy diet as well.

I suggest you to try back strengthening exercises by extension of the back muscles which can be taught by your Orthopedician or Physiotherapist. This will help to relieve the possible muscle spasm which causes the pain. One must also rule out inflammatory disorders, for which I recommend you to get a X-ray of your spine after consulting with an Orthopedician. MRI can be taken in case you have any nerve compression symptoms or as deemed necessary by your Orthopedician.

Meanwhile following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required
• Avoid forward bending.
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.
I would suggest you to try swimming as this will help most in back conditions.

Hope this will help you. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
If you have no further query,please close the discussion,rate the answer and give your review

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic Surgeon.