Severe abdominal pain with sweating and lightheadness. Have kidney stones. Why do I feel cramps?

I started having severe abdominal pain about 24 hours ago along with sweating and lightheadedness. I have had kidney stones before so I am sure that is not the cause. The pain seems to be worse on the lower left side but feels crampy throughout the entire abdominal area. Should I wait until morning to see if this passes on its' own? The pain seems to lessen if I lie in the fetal position but down not go away.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 3 hours later

Even though you had kidney stones and a different pain in past, I can't be sure that this pain is not related to that. Though taking a stone cramp/colic medicine that might have been prescribed to you may benefit, I suggest you should visit a doctor or go to the emergency room at the earliest as the pain in abdomen can be very serious and diverse ranging from constipation, gastritis to bowel obstruction (with vomiting) etc.

Commonest cause of left flank pain going all over abdomen without vomiting or constipation can be hyperacidity. Try antacid syrup while waiting for Emergency Visit.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.