Severe abdominal pain. Urine report showing RBC and albumin. What does this report indicate?

My husband had a severe abdominal pain so we took him to the emergency immediately and today his urine report says that rbc is 20-25 hpf, and 5-6 pus cells and presence of albumin does that indicate anything serious?
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 57 minutes later

I appreciate your concern. I will try to explain you in the best possible way.

When we put all the things together like abdominal pain, RBC in urine the most common probability is stone disease.

What he might have had is renal colic, which is almost always severe in nature, presents suddenly and at times there is associated vomiting.

Presence of RBC in blood indicates that there is blood in urine. The numbers of pus cells at present are very less, which hardly needs any attention now. Presence of albumin indicates loss of protein in urine, this can happen in many cases like infection, some injury to kidneys etc.

Please talk to your doctor, he will after examination, advice ultrasound for urinary system and this will help in reaching to a conclusion.

Depending upon the size and location stone, further treatment will be advised.

In mean time, please ask him to take light diet, plenty of fluids orally and proper rest.

For routine problem related to stomach, you many need to see a physician for proper diagnosis. He may require some investigation like ultrasound of abdomen, stool test, blood counts etc. as per need.

This kind of digestive issue are very common in day to day life due to some bad food habits, improper timing of food, tobacco, stress etc to name a few.

As far the recent problem is concerned, please do not worry. Get it properly diagnosed and treated.

I hope this answers your query, I will be glad to reply any follow up query that you have.

In case you do not have any further query, please accept the answer.