Severe abdominal pain. Cramps keep fluctuating. Tests showed mesenteris lymphadenopathy. What causes this?

went to er today with severe abdominal pain the pain has came and went for the past two weeks but pain not so bad more like cramps but today severe like i said went to er this morning had urine sample,blood work and ct scan they told me that it was mesenteris lymphadenopathy what is the cause of this? please email me at YYYY@YYYY my info was wrong for my email address .the pain has subsided just tender i am taking vicodin for pain no other medicine they perscribed me

inflamed lyph nodes could this be a sign for cancer?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.
There can be various reasons for mesentric lymphadenopathy or lymphadenitis like infection,inflammation and cancer also,as you asked.
Commonest infective and inflammatory causes are
Viral or bacterial gastroenteritis
Inflammatory bowel disorders like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease
Cancer in lymph nodes is generally due to cancer somewhere else in the body like
Breast cancer
Pancreatic cancer
Gastrointestinal cancer
Lung cancer
And lymphomas
Your doctor has rightly done these tests and in conjunction with the site of lymph nodes infection,diagnosis can be made.
However many times laproscopic examination of abdomen may also be required.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.