Sever cold. Have diabetes. Is it safe to take sugar free Theraflu?

Is it safe to take Sugar Free Theraflu if you are diabetic. I have my 1st sever cold afterbing diagnosed as diabetic. Diabetic, Female, 132 lbs 5ft, oral meds - Acto met plus15/500 1 per day. Cold are making aftermeal #s in the 140s...higher than normal by 20 points. I can't find any good info on the new sugar free theraflu. Any thoughts.
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Diabetes
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

You have provided me with good information.

When you are sick, you will have elevated blood sugars. That is the way your body reacts like a defense mechanism. Oral decongestants in general are notorious for raising blood sugar. Antihistamines are in generally better to diabetic. You may find Tablets like Benedryl helpful.You can take 50mg twice a day for 5 days.

Sugar free TheraFlu, Flu and Cold Medicine Powder is actually indicated in Diabetics.But there are instances of raised blood sugars due to this.

It causes many side effects like Drowsiness, anticholinergic effects, nervousness, dizziness, insomnia, excitability in children, hepatotoxicity .

Also it is not indicated in breathing problems (e.g., asthma, emphysema), glaucoma, heart problems, high blood pressure, liver disease, mental/mood changes, seizures, stomach problems (e.g., ulcers).

So it is better to avoid it.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.