Serum creatinine: 2.5. is this critical? Can I continue diabetes medication?

Creatinine level of my mom is 2.5 .her age is 58 years. Is it critical condition she also has high sugar level. Can she continue with her diabetes medication? Do we ned to consult Nephrologist? How can creatinine level be lower? Thanks, XXXXX
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Kidney Conditions
Answered by Dr. Aditya Bhabhe 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Needs further work up Detailed Answer: Hello Ms XXXXXXX Thank you for sending in your query. Serum creatinine value of 2.5 points to kidney disease. Kidneys are often affected in patients with long standing diabetes. While this is not a critical condition we need to do further tests and find out the following things: 1) The exact cause of this problem (is it due to diabetes or something else) 2) Look for any treatable condition 3) Optimise the medical treatment to prevent the progression of kidney disease. I would recommend the following tests initially: 1) Blood tests: CBC, Urea, Lipid profile, serum electrolytes 2) Urine analysis, 24 hour urine protein 3) Ultrasound of the abdomen. Once we have the results of the above tests we can determine the further treatment plan. You should definitely meet up with a nephrologist who can look into the above issues. I hope this was helpful Feel free to contact me if you have any more questions Regards Dr Bhabhe