Serum HCG test, pregnancy, depo injection, false positive, repeat test after 3 weeks of delayed periods

Question
hCG,Beta Subunit,Qual,Serum hCG,Beta Subunit,Qual,Serum Positive A mIU/mL 01
Negative <6 what does this tell me ?
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 13 hours later
Hi

I understand that you want to relate the values of Serum HCG with chances of pregnancy/week of pregnancy, but I did not understand the values / results which you have given here.

I request you to kindly give the values with units and the reference value from the lab as they vary from lab to lab.

If you clear it, I will be here to answer your query.

Follow-up: Serum HCG test, pregnancy, depo injection, false positive, repeat test after 3 weeks of delayed periods 3 hours later
the only thing the lab report says is hcg,beta subunit,qual,serum positive A
then it says negative < 6 thats all it says thats why im confused the positive is highlighted in yellow under it is small letters that said negative < 6

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 22 hours later
Thanks for your reply

Yet I did not understand the objective of doing a qualitative Beta HCG test, was it for detecting a pregnancy or something else?

A qualitative analysis of HCG is done to detect the presence of HCG or human chorionic gonadotropin hormone in your body . This is responsible for indicating the possibilities of a positive pregnancy and the quantitative values will correlate with the gestational weeks as the pregnancy advances .

Any fluctuations is HCG levels may indicate changes , if it is higher than expected it may suggest a hydatiform mole, trophoblastic tumors, ovarian tumors or even an ectopic pregnancy.

In your case, since the reading says positive , I may consider a possibility of pregnancy , but I would suggest you consult the doctor for further tests and confirmation with scan and examinations .

The values of more than 5 or 6 units of reference is considered positive for pregnancy at 3 weeks post last menstrual period. I feel the reading below in small saying lesser than 6 is negative , is just for reference and not your report finding.

I hope I was able to answer your question

Wish you good health

Follow-up: Serum HCG test, pregnancy, depo injection, false positive, repeat test after 3 weeks of delayed periods 30 minutes later
it is to detect pregnancy I was 10dpo

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 17 hours later

I believe you are on Depo injection, a contraceptive. Is it?

Since the positive is highlighted in yellow, it can be false positive value. Your doctor can reconfirm by Serial levels of Serum Beta HCG, Quantitative (doubles in 48 to 72 hours) also a transvaginal Ultrasound after 3 weeks of missing the periods helps.

If the Serum Beta HCG is negative, there is no need for follow up.

Wish you Good Health.