Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis, osteo arthritis, joint pain, stiffness. Difference between them ?

I have been diagnosed with seronegative RA. For years I was diagnosed with OA until an MRI revealed the truth in Feb 2010. How common is it that one is confused for the other?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 43 minutes later

Although the general symptoms of joint pain and stiffness are similar,in OA and RA,the diagnosis can be confirmed by examination and tests.There are certain associated factors that can distinguish them.Also if you were diagnosed with OA it was very early in life,where as RA usually occurs in younger individuals since its a autoimmune disease.Initially there is a chance there based on examination,the two may be confused but tests are pretty accurate and confirmatory.Also RA starts in the upper limbs and OA usually bears on the weight bearing limbs.

With good clinical judgement,the 2 diseases could have been identified earlier.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them

Follow-up: Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis, osteo arthritis, joint pain, stiffness. Difference between them ? 4 hours later
They said mine was "seronegative". Does that make it harder to distinguish?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis is the rheumatoid arthritis in which the blood doesn’t contain Rheumatoid Factor (RAfactor).Most of times its the undetectable low levels of the RA factor with typical symptoms diagnosed as Seronegative rheumatoid arthritis.Its much the same.

Tests like erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR), X-rays, complete blood count (CBC), C-reactive protein (CRP) and antinuclear antibodies are considered useful in confirming seronegative illness when the symptoms and clinical findings are typical of RA.

The treatment is same as seropositive variety,hence there is no much difference between sero positive and negative just that the RA factor test is negative most of times due to low levels and sometimes idiopathic.

Hope I answered your query.