Seronegative arthritis, polyarthralgia, plantar fasciitis,L5 protrusion, stress-related hypertension , PCOD, on cerin plus, salazar, carvic BID, RBS glucometer. FBS and PPBS esseential?

Question
Hi, I am 30 years old. I have seronegative arthritis, polyarthralgia, plantar fasciitis, L5 protrusion, and stress-related hypertension (150/100 normal). I also have PCOD and now my periods are okay. I am not on any medications although I was taking cerin plus, salazar, and carvic BID. Now am off all medications. My mother and grandmother are diabetics and mom has is from 1999. Today, I had a RBS done through glucometer at home and it showed a reading of 234 mg/dL and an hour later 228, two hours later 222. Should I get FBS and PPBS done in a laboratory?
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Arthritis

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 11 minutes later

The reading of RBS that too repeated twice at different times all of them showing it to be above 200mg% means that your blood glucose levels are actually raised and these are not occasional chance findings.

The reliability of results of glucometer depends on the make of the glucometer and whether the strips used for testing were properly kept or not. Still the scope of error in results is not more than 5-7%.
Thus it is most appropriate if you get your fasting and PP blood glucose levels checked at a nearby laboratory for an early diagnosis of the disease if there is any.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Seronegative arthritis, polyarthralgia, plantar fasciitis,L5 protrusion, stress-related hypertension , PCOD, on cerin plus, salazar, carvic BID, RBS glucometer. FBS and PPBS esseential? 12 hours later
Thanks doctor.. I checked my fasting blood sugar using glucometer today morning and it showed 93 mg/dL but post prandial was 206 mg/dL. I am really worried. One is the family history of diabetes, second is my PCOS and obesity (I weight 84.5 kg at 5 feet 1 inch tall). I guess the readings are accurate because mom has been using this kit and even the readings match with her lab diagnosis. I guess I need to see a diabetiologist/endocrinologist immediately?

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 12 minutes later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.

Yes. Your readings of post prandial blood glucose levels are high. It is best if to start your treatment under the guidance of an endocrinologist without delay.

Sincerely hope it will help.

Wishing you an early recovery.

Follow-up: Seronegative arthritis, polyarthralgia, plantar fasciitis,L5 protrusion, stress-related hypertension , PCOD, on cerin plus, salazar, carvic BID, RBS glucometer. FBS and PPBS esseential? 11 hours later
i got my random blood sugar testing along with RA factor, ESR, CRP, and the rest.. all are normal with an RBS of 104. even urine sugar is nil. yet.. I do have the symptoms of arthritis with severe joint pain and post prandial sugar above 200. I really am not understanding why. Anyway, thanks so much doctor.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 21 hours later
Hello.

Thanks for writing back.
It is not necessary that arthritis is always associated with RA factor positive.
If you have the symptoms of arthritis that means you do need the treatment irrespective of the status of RA factor.
For diagnosis of diabetes and treatment, fasting and post prandial blood sugar only are considered and random blood glucose levels are not of much importance.
Hope it will help.
Wishing you an early recovery.