Septoplasty done. Flow smell from nose, throat and mouth, nausea, sinus. Taking amoxicillin. How can the smell problem be solved?

I had a septoplasty 2 weeks and 4 days ago, and about 4 days ago, I noticed a horribly foul smell starting to occur in my nose. It smells like a rotten potato, and it gets even worse when I blow my nose. The worst part, is that it's in my throat and mouth and my breath smells like it, no matter what I do! My boyfriend can smell it, and it's so repulsive it almost made him throw up, and it is constantly making me nauseaus! I have heard that a bad smell in your nose is normal after a septoplasty, but I haven't heard anything about the smell being in your breath. I just got put on Amoxicillin for a sinus infection, and it is pretty bad (it's making my teeth hurt, it's so bad). I was wondering if this smell in my mouth could be related to this sinus infection, or if it's something that's going to be permanent. I have been brushing and rinsing like crazy, and chewing gum, but nothing I do is even masking the smell! None of this started until after I had my septoplasty, and now I'm regretting having this stupid surgery in the first place, because this smell is taking away my confidence and self's ruining my life! How can I get rid of this horrible smell in my mouth?!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

This must be terrible for you. Try not to be too downhearted though, this is not going to be a permanent thing.

The smell may be arising from your infected sinus though it is more likely to be from post operative infection following septoplasty. Either way, a broad spectrum antibiotic is the treatment of choice. Since you only started this a few hours ago it is too early yet to say if it will work or not. Give it at least three days and see how it goes.

An infected sinus will give tooth pain because of the proximity of both. A deviated nasal septum contributes to blockage of sinus and that is why septoplasty is recommended.

If the Amoxicillin does not clear things up quickly then you may need to switch to another antibiotic. In any event you will get to the bottom of this and recover from it completely.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have anymore questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne.