Septic arthritis, aspirated knee, citrobacter knee. Damaging?

My doctor aspirated my knee as a follow-up to treating for septic arthritis (following knee injections). He says the staph infection is gone, but I now have citrobacter koseri in my knee. What is it and what kind of damage can it do? What kind of treatment might I expect for this?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 48 minutes later

Citrobacter koseri is another bacteria that has now infected your knee joint. It also causes similar infection and collection of pus as you had earlier.

You must take good antibiotics either orally or by intravenous route to control this infection. Ypur primary orthopedician will prescribe you them to you.

If not controlled properly and timely, it can even cause destruction of your whole knee joint that may need surgical treatment.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available if you have any further queries.