Sensitive to high frequency sound. Could I use hearing protection plugs during dental drilling?

ENT Specialist
hello I really have one problem. Im really sensitive to sound and high freq sounds. I just want some good infO: Im going to my dentist tomorrow and make some drilling in my teeth. The drill sound really scares me because it's so loud; and Im scared of; if it will hurt my ears. tell me this: Is it better to use hearing protection plugs while drilling Or better without. because some told me that; drilling gives sound directly throught the bones; and make high sounds.and wearing hearing protection; would make this worse. what to do ?
Posted Tue, 10 Dec 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Abhishek Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not worry Detailed Answer: Hello, Hearing protection by plugs and cotton will increase the vibration sound by the drill machine as it will be the only sound (sound produced by vibration in body from drill) reaching brain through ears. You should not worry from drill machine .There is no drill vibrations heard or felt until you are getting a tooth removed with drill or getting a root canal treatment. And in both the situations your dentist will give you anaesthetic agent at that place. I too have got done dental treatment before. There are two ways of protecting yourself- 1. Ask the dentist if he can give you local anaesthetic over the tooth then you will know nothing. 2.Secondly you can ask your dentist to put light music in the clinic and you will not hear the drill sound much , as it will be suppressed by the music. And your mind will also be calm and diverted to the music. In doubt do reply