Sensitive skin with ingrown hair and zits that get red. On cortisone cream. Go to a doctor?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
Hi, I'm terrified of going to the doctor but I feel as though I should. I got a brazilian wax about a month ago and I want to go back, but I'm too embarrassed. I have really
Sensitive skin and I have some ingrown hairs but also got this cyst type zit on my mons. I have been squeezing it and tweezing and made it
More red. I put some cortisone cream on it with a sterile dressing. Should I go to the doctor?
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 1 hour later
It seems that you are having folliculitis in the mons pubis which occurs due to infection of the hair follicles giving rise to redness, swelling and sometimes pus formation.
The treatment for minor cases is local (topical) antibiotic ointments like mupirocin or fusidic acid. Steroids like cortisone do suppress minor inflammatory lesions but they may worsen the condition if it is due to bacterial infection.Hence please do not self medicate and consult a female physician if you are feeling very hesitant. Although remember that doctors always treat their female patients with utmost respect and confidentiality as per the ethics of the profession.
As of now the situation is not very worrisome and likely to resolve soon or within a week with proper and early treatment.
Please do not squeeze the lesion as it may worsen it.Just clean it regularly and apply antibiotics as prescribed.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Sensitive skin with ingrown hair and zits that get red. On cortisone cream. Go to a doctor? 51 minutes later
Thank you so much! I will definitely go to
The doctor Monday. What should I do in the meantime?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 5 hours later
Hello ,
Thanks for the follow up.
I appreciate your decision and hope you will soon see positive results.
Meanwhile you should ,
1.clean the area with betadene or any antiseptic solution twice daily.
2.Keep a thin gauze dressing after application of any antiseptic or antibiotic ointment if feasible, avoid occlusive dressing of the lesion.
3 Avoid scratching, squeezing, the lesions & wear loose cotton undergarments.
4.If pus formation is seen and is painful, local application of heat with warm soaks may help.
Hope this answers your query.Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.
Wishing you good health