Sense of smell has become bad, sinus feels tight. Nasal spray ineffective. Did eye surgery cause this?

ENT Specialist
my sence of smell has got bad i uesd to be able to smell the grass flowers etc my aftershave very clearly now i have to sniff up close and my sinuses feel all tight my doctor gave me a spray but dosent seemed to have worked ! and see having eye surgery could thiss affect my smell i had laisk
Posted Fri, 14 Sep 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 34 minutes later

Thanks for the query

After going through the brief history, I am of opinion that you are suffering from allergic rhinitis.

Anosmia or loss of smell could be a temporary phenomenon which has to be evaluated thoroughly by a good ENT specialist at the earliest. There could be an anatomical obstruction which is preventing the air from reaching the olfactory area. Hence you will require a nasal endoscopy and a CT scan of the nose and paranasal sinuses.

Let me make it clear for you, the eye surgery is not the root cause for loss of smell.

The common triggerers of allergy are the pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. The truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the Air conditioner.

You can try using steroid nasal spray (such as fluticasone/momentasone) and an antihistaminic (fexofenadine/cetrizine) to reduce the allergy and get back the smell and also drink plenty of warm water to keep the nasal mucosa moist. A short course of oral steroids is beneficial.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgery
Follow-up: Sense of smell has become bad, sinus feels tight. Nasal spray ineffective. Did eye surgery cause this? 5 days later
my nasel cavty always feels dry so dose my sinuses and i get scabbing inside some times1 i thought this cld be cause bt the dry eyes i have no because of eye surgery
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later

Thanks for writing back

The symptoms you have mentioned now are new and were not described in your previous query. This is in sharp contrast to the diagnosis made before. Dryness of the nasal mucosa with crusts in the nose and the sinuses are not related to the allergic rhinitis, it could be atrophic rhinitis.

Atrophic rhinitis is a condition of the nose characterized by progressive atrophy (shrinking) of the nasal mucosa along with the underlying bones of turbinates. Following which, there is dryness of the nose, irritation, loss of smell/taste due to damage to the nerves in the olfactory area of the nose, foul smell from the nose with or without headache.

This is usually noticed in those individuals having endocrine imbalance, nutritional deficiencies, chronic sinusitis and undergone excessive nasal surgery causing destruction of the nasal mucosa and the turbinates.

Therapy is directed at keeping the nasal mucosa moist and help in rejuvenation of the nasal mucosa. You need to use saline nasal spray and liquid paraffin to keep the nasal mucosa moist. Drink plenty of water and take fresh fruits and vegetables. Avoid smoking, coffee or alcohol if any. Also do alkaline nasal douching.

The ingredients for alkaline nasal douching are warm water half a liter, a pinch of baking soda and half a teaspoon of table salt. All the ingredients have to be mixed in the water and the water has to be inhaled through the nose. Initially, you might find it difficult to perform, but later on you will get adjusted to it. Inhale the water into the nose and try to bring out all the crusts present in the nose.

With all these above measures you should have some relief.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the further queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon