Sensation of warm fluid in ear. Have eustachian tube catarrh. On allegra, nasal drops. Undergone radiation. What more?

ENT Specialist
Dear doctor i am 37 yrs old male.5 feet 9 inches.82 kgs.since 20 days i had a sensation of warm fluid in my left ear only upon lying down on the left side.after a minute the sensation passed off.but since 10 days the sensation is present even when there is a slight jolt like driving on uneven road.i do not have a cold,allergy or sinusitis.I have been seen by a ent doctor who said it is eustachian tube catarrh.i was given allegra,mucolite,nasal drops a nd antibiotic.x rays are normal.audiogram is normal.there is no ear wax,or nasal discharge.i have not improved at all.2 years back i underwent surgery for ca.ex pleomorphic adenoma left sub mandibular gland.i have undergone ent doctor says this has nothing to do with it.he is telling me to ignore it.pls tell me for how many days will this i need to undergo any others tests.this has affected my sleep.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query

Warm fluid sensation in the middle ear could be due to presence of secretions in the middle ear.

The cause of this could be due to various reasons such as:
1. Blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear).
2. Sinusitis
3. Radiotherapy
4. Growth in the back side of the nose
5. Nasal allergy, etc.

In your case, in the absence of any nasal infections or flu the most probable cause could be the radiotherapy induced.

When radiotherapy is administered close to the ear or the nose, the mucosa of the Eustachian tube gets blocked and due to which the normal secretions in the middle ear will not be able to drain out easily. The collection of these secretions gives the sensation of pressure and fluid in the ear.

You need to use saline nasal spray, do steam inhalation 3-4times/day, drink plenty of warm water and also get a Tympanometry of the ear done to confirm the presence of fluid in the middle ear.

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon