Sensation of trickling in the body, water dropping on skin, twitching. Whats the reason?

For several months I have been having, quite often but not all the time, the following strange sensations:
1. Sensation of a light trickling in different parts of my body, my shoulder and head for example. Recently in one spot under my skull, there is sometimes a light and slow pulsing sensation which feels a bit cool
2. The sensation of water dropping on my skin
3. A strange light twitchy sensation under my skin, mostly in my face.
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 9 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
• 43 year old male
• Complaints of: Trickling, water dropping and twitchy sensation over multiple parts of body.

You case is interesting and but difficult too but I will try to give my best effort to help you in this problem.

Considering all your complaints together I would like to consider multiple possibilities in following hierarchy:

• Vitamin deficiency: Get serum B12 level and complete blood count done. Start multi vitamins as they are easily available.
• Side effect of substance use: Stop use (if any) gradually
• Stress or Anxiety: it need to be rule out by detailed interview by psychiatrist. All your complaints can occur in these conditions. Daily jogging and aerobics help in some mild cases. Anxiety can cause muscle twitches in multiple parts of body which can cause these sensation.
Thyroid related problem: Get it investigated as this can lead to above symptoms with anxiety.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.