Sensation of food particles in throat, irregular belching, chest pain, neck pain. Could it be GERD?

Question
I have particles of food in my throat after eating..I sometimes belch continuous and sometimes finds it difficult to belch which cause pains in chest and sometimes my neck.Could this be GERD?
Posted Thu, 5 Jul 2012 in GERD

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 28 minutes later

Sensation of particles of food in the throat is called globus hystericus. Globus hystericus is a subjective sensation where people feel a lump in the throat. The most common cause is gastro esophageal reflux disease – GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease). It’s diagnosis is by fibroptic laryngoscopy or upper GO endoscopy.

It should go away with the right treatment and the following lifestyle measures:

1)     Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks.

2)     It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down.

3)     To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

4)     Also take some antacid but if the symptoms are severe, then you may need drugs like proton pump inhibitors like omeprazole after consulting your doctor.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Sensation of food particles in throat, irregular belching, chest pain, neck pain. Could it be GERD? 12 minutes later
Can you please provide me with the right remedy so i can acquire them?I'm talking of the most effective drugs.I actually had the test you talked about that and was given nexium drugs but my condition gets better then reoccurs after some time..please help

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me with the clarification.

Another possibility from your symptoms is of hiatal hernia. In this there is a weakness in the diaphragm which causes part of the stomach to pass through the diaphragm into the chest. Where hernia symptoms are severe and chronic acid reflux is involved, surgery is sometimes recommended which is called Nissen fundoplication. You should get an evaluation done from a gastroenterologist and discuss this possibility with him.