Ask a Dentist   »  

Sensation in upper front teeth, keep rubbing them with lower teeth. Why is this happening?

I have sensation in my upper front teeth from past few days . I keep them rubbing with my lower teeth . I dont know why this is happening.
Posted Sat, 15 Sep 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 6 hours later

Thanks for writing in.
XXXXXXX based on the details submitted it is not very clear
- If you developed the sensation in the upper teeth due to rubbing
- Or you keep rubbing the teeth since 2 days due to some sensation in the upper teeth.

I assume you described the first scenario.

Bruxisum is a habit where an individual constantly keeps moving his/her teeth unconciously during day or night time. But because of this friction of teeth it results in attrition. You can lose your teeth enamel and dentin become exposed and become sensitive. Gradually reparative dentin form over this lost structure and sensitivity will disappear itself, but you will lose your tooth structure.
The treatment of this habit and to prevent your teeth damage is use of night guard. You have to use this night guard in the night during sleep, so it will prevent the friction of teeth.

So nothing to get worried you will be perfectly fine.

Let me know if my assumption is wrong. I shall correct it during my follow up.

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta
Follow-up: Sensation in upper front teeth, keep rubbing them with lower teeth. Why is this happening? 2 hours later

I mean i am having sensation in the upper two teeth thats why i keep rubbing it.

Answered by Dr. Gunjan Gupta 23 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.
XXXXXXX as you provide the detail,t hat you are having the sensation since few day because of that you are rubbing your teeth.

There are few possibilities for this sensation-

1.     If you have hot and cold sensitivity, and pain in the teeth it could be because of the XXXXXXX infection to the root nerves of the same teeth region, for this, the treatment will be root canal treatment.

2.     If you have itching and dull pain sensation in the surrounding gums of the same teeth region and you get relief on biting the teeth, it could be due to deposits XXXXXXX in the gums known as sub gingival calculus. If it is not treated, it can damage to the tooth supporting structure. The treatment for this is scaling and curettage.

Therefore, if you have any of the above problems, you should visit to a dentist in your area and take a proper treatment accordingly.

Nothing to get worried, you will surely get relief after a proper treatment.

Hope I answered you query, if you have further any doubt, I will be happy to help you.

Wish you a good health.

Take Care
Dr.Gunjan Gupta