Sensation and blinking of patch on face below eyes. How to cure it?

Geriatrics Specialist
Dear Doctor,
from last 24 hours I am facing sensation/blinking of patch of skin on my face below eyes after every interval of 10-15 sec. Kindly suggest what needs to be done in my case.

Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Surendiran Gaj 1 hour later
Hi there,

Thanks for writing in health care magic.

The blinking/twitching of skin below the eye/eyelid is called blepharospasm.

It is usually common in people who are in contact with any allergen to eye,resulting constant blinking.
The other reasons are dry cornea(part of eye),stress,caffeine.
Most of the times, it goes off naturally without any treatment.
Good sleep would get you out of the symptoms, since in sleep no blepharospasm happens, and also relaxes the muscle responsible for twitching.

Using tear drops helps in case of dry eye twice daily during morning and in night, before sleep.
In case of prolonged and constant twicthing preventing you from routine activities, the injection of BOTULINUM TOXIN(BOTOX)helps to relieve out of symptoms. but, that needs to be decided only after a proper examination by an ophthalmologist.

If your symptoms are still worsening, visit your treating physician, examined and get treated accordingly.

Let me know if you have further questions, take care.