Semen test showed low sperm count. What medicine should I take to increase the sperm count?

Question
i m suffering form low sperm count. In my semen test sperm count has been found 11.1 million. I am very pensive plz expedite me the details about sperm count and procedure/medicines for increasing the sperm count. In my semen test active sperm is only 20 %.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Men's Health

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi

Semen analysis looks at different factors: the sperm count, the motility/ movement of the sperm, the morphology( what percentage of the sperm have a normal shape), the volume of the semen, pH(a low ph may indicate a blockage , a high pH may indicate an infection). Some labs also look at other factors such as the presence of white blood cells (indicate infection).

The normal sperm count in most labs is 20 mill per ml however a low sperm count does not mean that a man cannot father a child. Men with extremely low counts , as low as 1 mill have fathered children and some men with normal counts may have difficulty.
Motility refers to the sperm that are actively moving and it is thought that it should be above 50%

Some of the things that are recommended to try and improve the results of an abnormal semen analysis include:
(1) treat any infection that may be present and contributing to the low count
(2)some fertility doctors recommend the use of supplements that contain vitamin e , folic acid, zinc,selenium, carnitine
(3) if your doctor also does blood tests to check the level of certain hormones, he or she may suggest the use of hormonal medication to boost sperm level
(4) if there is any structural factor that is affecting the passage of the sperm such as blockage of the ejaculatory duct, then this can be corrected surgically
(5) if you smoke then you may want to stop
(6) eat a healthy diet, stay away from any envirmental hazards, or prolonged heat exposure like long stays in a sauna or jacuzzi

I hope this information is helpful to you, wish you and your partner the best of luck
Feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Semen test showed low sperm count. What medicine should I take to increase the sperm count? 28 hours later
Semen Exam Details:- Motility: - ACTIVE-20%, SLUGGISH-10%, NON MOTILE-70%
MORPHOLOGY:- NORMAL FORMS-70%, ABNORMAL FORMS-30%, IMMATURE FORMS- ...., PUS CELLS- 4-5/H.P.F, AUTO AGGLUTINATION- ABSENT, MICROSCOPIC TOTAL COUNT-11.1 MILLION
AS WELL AS MY HB ELECTROPHORESIS DETAILS ARE AS FOLLOWS:-
HB A2- 5.10, HAEMOGLOBIN- 10.80, PACKED CELL VOLUME- 35.40, MCV- 68.00, MCH-20.70, RDW-16.80 SUGGESTIVE INTERPRETATION- BETA THALASSEMIA MINOR.
OTHER THINGS ARE NORMAL
PLZ EXPEDITE ME THAT THERE IS ANY CONNECTION OF LOW HAEMOGLOBIN WITH LOW SPERM COUNT AND LOW ACTIVE MOTILITY. ALSO SUGGEST THE EFFECTIVE MEASURE/TREATMENT AT THE EARLIEST

Hi

Beta thalassemia minor is a inherited condition where there is reduced production of some of the parts normally found in hemoglobin. Hemoglobin is the protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen.
Persons with thalassemia minor usually only have mild anemia and not many complications associated with the condition.
Most patients with thalassemia minor do not require any specific treatment.

Chronic or longstanding anemia can be associated with decreased fertility.

Remember that semen analysis is not an absolute indicator about whether you are capable of having children with your partner.
It is thought that the following may be risk factors for abnormal sperm production and if modified there may be improvement:( 1) emotional stress
(2) testicular overheating such as in a hot tubs or saunas
(3)smoking, substance abuse, obesity
(4)long term exposure to toxins such as herbicides and pestacides
(5)infections in the urinary tract or genitals
(6)systemic disease such as diabetes, thyroid disease, chronic anemia, liver or kidney disease

You can consider going to your doctor for a full check up to identify any undiagnosed problems that may also impact on fertility. if present , these can be treated and may result in an improved analysis.
Modify any of the other risk factors mentioned above if present and eat a healthy diet with adequate rest and exercise.
General well health would improve analysis.

I hope this information is helpful to you, feel free to ask anything else