Semen outside the vagina. Pregnancy chances?

Question
can you get pregnant if you have sperm on a towel and use it to wipe your vagina with
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 38 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX,

I can understand your concern.

No, You can not get pregnant by wiping with a towel which had some semen/sperm on it. The chances are very rare.

So relax, and do not worry.

Hope I have answered your query, do write back to me if you have any doubts.

Regards.

Follow-up: Semen outside the vagina. Pregnancy chances? 8 minutes later
thank you for your answer but i have looked all over the net and many people say that you can get pregnant i am so confussed

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 1 hour later
Hello again,

Thank you for writing back.

As I said earlier, the chances are very remote.

If the towel was used say may be within about 2 to 3 minutes and the exact part of the towel where the semen was came in contact with the inner walls of the vagina and if the number of sperms that came in contact with the inner vaginal wall were pretty high, only then there are chances of becoming pregnant.

Those are a lot of ifs and buts, and I do not think you used the towel inside the vagina. At the most the towel could have come in contact with the inner lips of the Vulua.

Another important fact to consider is that, the sperm do not survive for more than a few minutes at the best outside the normal body temperatures.

So please be relaxed. I don't see any reason to be unduly worried.

Please accept my answer if you do not have any more queries.

Best wishes.

Regards.

Follow-up: Semen outside the vagina. Pregnancy chances? 2 hours later
sorry i do not accept your answer as you said sperm do not last for more than a few moments can i want to ask the same questions to a different doctor

Answered by Dr. Yogesh D 6 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

I understand your concern. I hope I was not able to convey the message clearly and let me try this time. I wish to explain a simple fact here.

Sperms are usually viable and last for 24 to 48 hours INSIDE the human body. However, they are not viable or die within few minutes in the external environment i.e. OUTSIDE the human body.

So, in your case, the sperms on the towel were not viable as they were outside the human body, be it for just a few minutes too. Thus, the towel would contain only dead sperms. Also, just by wiping the vagina with the same towel will definitely not cause pregnancy because deposition of the sperm should be high up in the vagina for pregnancy to occur.

Even if there was an entry of the sperm into the vagina, they would most probably not be viable to cause pregnancy.

Please do revert back in case of doubts.