Semen on underwear, wet, infection transferred 3 hours later, possibility ?

Question
Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...if i had cum on my underwear and 3 hours later took undrwear off on bathroom floor could some one else get infected becasuse is semen were still damp 3 hous later could it go to another persns underwear and then if that person hasd cut to that person. this would all be about 3 hours after i ejaculated ijnto underwear. thanks
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 3 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for your query.

I have gone thru your query in detail and I can tell you that there is a very slim chance that infection can spread that way.

Sperm that is outside of the body can live anywhere from 20 minutes to about an hour. You should avoid contact with semen while it is still wet to avoid live sperm and bacteria. If the semen is dry, wiped off or washed off - the sperm dies.
It really depends on the environment and many factors.(temperature, humidity etc.)

If the underwear was on the bathroom floor then the chances of it getting wiped or washed off are high.

Theoretically speaking if the other person has a open cut on his genitals skin. And IF the sperm is infected THEN ONLY a infection can be passed on.

But the chances of such transmission are extremely rare. Almost never heard off

If you have any other queries on this write back to me. I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr Puneet Oberoi

Follow-up: Semen on underwear, wet, infection transferred 3 hours later, possibility ? 52 minutes later
so if it was 3 hours when the semen was in my pants then i am ok. i just cant remember is it was still damp. would it have dried by then if i was wearing underwear

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 44 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

Thank you for the follow up.

Well if it has been 3 hours, then you are absolutely ok.
There is nothing to worry about
Like I have mentioned before, such method of transmission is extremely unlikely to happen.

It sure would have dried in 3 hours, don't worry you are all fine.

Dr Puneet Oberoi

Follow-up: Semen on underwear, wet, infection transferred 3 hours later, possibility ? 17 minutes later
even if i had underwear on for 3 hours.it would stay damp or wet. i am so wrried about this. thank fopr your prompt answers so far. its helped me

Answered by Dr. Puneet Oberoi 22 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX,

I truly can understand your concern here.
And I know you are worried. But trust me on this one.

And if you still have any doubts then I suggest you can get your self tested and get these worries out of your mind, but I will still assure you from my side that you are fine. And there is nothing to worry about, even if you had it on for 3 hours.

Dr Puneet Oberoi