Semen liquifaction > 60 H, sperm motility 1Hr 35L, sperm count 53 L. Treatment for infertility ?

I am 36 yrs old and just got the below results from my semen analysis. Frankly, the liquefecation, motility and count results freaked me out. Do you think I have any chances of becoming a father? Any guidance on what I should do next would be very much appreciated.

Semen Volume 2.5 N
Semen Liquifaction >60 H
Semen pH 8.0 N
Sperm Motility 1 Hr 35 L
Progressive Motility Score 30 L
Sperm Normal Morph 64 N
Sperm Abnormal Morphology 36 N
Sperm Count per cc 53 L
Posted Sat, 14 Apr 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

The normal sperm count is over 15 million sperms, volumes between 1.0 mL and 6.5 mL are normal and regarding the liquefaction time, it normally takes less than 20 minutes for the sample to change from a thick gel into a liquid.

An abnormally long liquefaction (more than 30 minutes at 37 24°C) time may indicate an infection, however the criteria is different for NICE. It states that a liquefaction time within 60 minutes is regarded as within normal ranges. In your case, the liquefaction time seems to be prolonged.

The normal sperm morphology which is above 65 also seems to be normal.

For further evaluation, you need to consult a fertility specialist and you and your partner need to get sperm-cervical mucus interactions which include the post-coital test, the sperm cervical mucus contact test and the in vitro sperm-cervical mucus penetration assay done.

Whether you will be able to father a child or not depends on that. In vitro fertilization can be employed if the test results come abnormal.

Eat a diet that includes whole, unprocessed foods. The best foods for health in general, and also for sperm count problems, are whole grains, legumes, vegetables, fruits, nuts, and seed. Avoid alcohol, smoking, take more of proteins and fresh vegetables.

Minerals like zinc & selenium, amino acids like l-carnitine, and antioxidants like Vitamin C and Vitamin E are very crucial to sperm health.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Semen liquifaction > 60 H, sperm motility 1Hr 35L, sperm count 53 L. Treatment for infertility ? 20 hours later
Thanks for your reply. It looks like my sperm count and morphology are fine but motility is low at 35% and liquefecation time is high. What is your take on my chances of pregnancy through regular means assuming my partner is healthy?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If the motility is low and liquefaction time is high then chances of pregnancy through regular means is less. You may require assisted reproductive technique but before that a thorough and complete evaluation needs to be done by a fertility expert.

Assisted reproductive techniques (ART) include intrauterine insemination (IUI), in vitro fertilization (IVF), and IVF with micromanipulation.

Hope this answers your query.