Ask a Urologist   »  

Semen leakage after urination, reddish and thick discharge. Concerned about this

I see sperm at the end of urinating. The final drops of my urine occasionally seem as thick as sperm and is a little reddish. I am very concerned about this peculiar problem.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 46 minutes later

I can understand your concern for these symptoms and the thick sperm like discharge in urine which is a bit reddish can be due to a sign of protein in your urine (proteinuria), which requires further evaluation.

Large amounts of protein in urine may indicate a serious kidney problem. Moreover reddish urine is due to blood in urine which is mostly due to kidney stones and kidney infections.

Secondly presence of semen like substance in urine can also be due to Dhat syndrome or an inflammation or infection of the prostate gland. Since the semen like substance is blood tinged so it ruled out any Dhat syndrome.

When the prostate gland is inflamed, the pressure on the prostate during passing stools can cause expression of prostatic secretions in the urine. I suggest you to get an evaluation, a digital rectal examination and your PSA levels measured along with a complete urine examination done. I also advise you to get done an ultrasound, CT scan and also kidney function tests to rule out any kidney stones and inflammation of the urinary tract.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.