Semen dripped down to vaginal opening and wiped it. Having pots syndrome along with chest pain. Cannot take birth control. Will I be pregnant?

OBGYN, Maternal and Fetal Medicine
Hello I was wondering if I should take an emergency contraceptive pill or not. I am 4 months postpartum with 2nd child and on Thursday night my husband and I were having sexual intercourse and after pulling out he ejaculated on my lower back area and upon getting up some semen dripped down to my vaginal opening which I wiped away with toilet paper and I rinsed off in the shower immediately. I am very hesitant to take plan b because since giving birth 4 months ago I have had very bad health issues and feel terrible on a daily basis with a feeling of persistent flu and palpitations among many other things I also had extremely high blood pressure the first 2 months post partum. Upon numerous tests and doctors they say I have fibromyalgia. I had carcinoid cancer in 2008 and a carcinoid specialist doesn't believe my carcinoid is back even though I'm exhibiting symptoms as urine and bloodwork are ok but believes I have pots syndrome( I do get abnormally high heart rate upon standing) along with chest pain and excercise intolerance and dizziness. I know pulling out is not a smart birth control method but condoms irritate me and I have been advised not to take birth control because of cancer history. For the record we have successfully used the pull out method for 5 yrs and only got pregnant when actively trying. What are my chances of becoming pregnant with semen dripping from my back to vagina? And would I be a candidate for plan b? I am so worried to take it as I am exhibiting extreme symptoms of pots syndrome and fibro every day since giving birth 4 months ago to the point I cannot work but I also cannot become pregnant again. I should also mention I am very sensitive to medicines and since postpartum have suddenly contacted numerous food and environmental allergies. I had full cardiac work up structurally heart is fine and holter monitor ok. I should also add we used lube which I know can hinder sperm
Posted Tue, 29 Oct 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, Emergency Contraception not recommended

Detailed Answer:
That's really a lot of load you are carrying.....
Emergency contraception has very high dose of the hormone Progestogen and there is no estrogen in the preparation. In my opinion, its the Estrogen part which can cause problems like Gastrointestinal upset and diarrhoea which may confuse the clinical picture of Carcinoid. Rarely Estrogen can cause decreased blood supply to the intestines causing bloody diarrhoea and a form of enterocolitis (inflammation of the colon). Additionally, in view of all this and the risks of estrogen to the heart i totally agree that oral contraceptive pills are best avoided in your case.

But emergency contraception is different, as i said, since it doesn't contain estrogen but the dose of Progestogen is high. However, there should be no problem with that but i'm wondering about your list of allergies. Now, stand alone, i wouldn't have problems with emergency contraception per se but when one has multiple issues, its wiser to be safe.

Therefore, in my opinion, emergency contraception should be avoided in your case, unless you have had these in the recent past with no problems.
Or, you could carry your list of known food and drug allergies to your doctor and work out the relative risk of the emergency contraceptive pill.

As far as pregnancy is concerned, in your place, i wouldn't even think about it. The health of the mother of a 4 month child is more important than another pregnancy. Sort your system out first.

Then what's the solution to your problem.....
There seems to be a low possibility of pregnancy taking into account the way you managed the 'leak'. That was a great job.
However, let me point out that Lube is a lubricant with no tangible sperm hindering/destroying properties in the sense that its not medicated to do so. Some hindering may occur but that's not the reason for Lube. There are better choices available which knock out the sperms. Please check your local pharmacy for this for future reference, if you so desire.

Despite there being low risk of pregnancy, one can't take a chance. I think your body simply must not have another load thrust on it.

One option is to have a IUCD (Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device) inserted. When inserted within the week of the sex act, it can actually prevent a pregnancy in the same cycle. Its advantage is that it will protect you for next few years too depending upon which brand you chose to have inserted. This will free you of the worry of an unintended pregnancy. However, IUCDs have their own problems - heavy bleeding, pain etc which may happen in some women and it would be wise to discuss this with your family doctor. Immediately.
I hope this gives you an idea and guideline how to manage next.
Take care...
Dr Nirja Chawla

Follow-up: Semen dripped down to vaginal opening and wiped it. Having pots syndrome along with chest pain. Cannot take birth control. Will I be pregnant? 1 hour later
Ok but do you think even if I do not get an IUD within the next week that I am most likely not going to end up pregnant? I have been having a lot of lower abdominal pain in the last few months as well so I don't know if I wold want to do an IUD. I will definitely be looking into different types of condoms from now on.
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Chance of pregnancy unpredictable

Detailed Answer:
Hi there XXXXXXX
It would be easier to believe that there may not be a pregnancy :-) But such issues cannot be predicted with any kind of certainty. Now, when the flip side - if there is a pregnancy, is actually alarming then one simply wouldn't want to take a chance, isin't it. If continuing with any such pregnancy is ok this way or that, then such patients can afford to remain inactive and simply not do anything.

But there is one way - if you were anywhere between Day 8 - Day 18 on the day you had sex, then you know that the chances of pregnancy, in a regular 28 day cycle, are higher. If the sex happened within first 7 days of start of period, in a regular 28 day cycle, the chances of pregnancy would be lower. (Day 1 is the first day the period starts).

Taking all this into consideration, you could take a call -take the Emergency Contraception under supervision of your doctor, get a IUCD fitted or do nothing at all.......the last option carries a risk, however small, of an unwanted pregnancy. After all, the risk cannot be 0%.
All the best. Take care.
If your query has been answered, even if its not the answer you would like :-), please close this discussion and rate the answers. Thanks.
Dr Nirja Chawla
Follow-up: Semen dripped down to vaginal opening and wiped it. Having pots syndrome along with chest pain. Cannot take birth control. Will I be pregnant? 11 minutes later
Ok one more question what do you think of the copper IUD since its non hormonal? Thank you for your help I will be calling my Dr on Monday :)
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Copper T is excellent

Detailed Answer:
No problem, XXXXXXX ask away....
Copper T is an excellent IUCD.
There is absolutely no harm is giving it a try. If you are not happy, one can always have it removed by the doctor (don't attempt to remove it yourself; it may turn and get misplaced).

Remember that we doctors sometimes speak 'frightening' language - Cu T may cause heavy bleeding, it may cause pain, it may expel out unnoticed, it may perforate......The last two are not common at all. And notice how i say - MAY. These problems MAY occur and MAY NOT. Even if they do, usually they are during the period; and they may disappear by 6 months of insertion. In most patients, by the time they walk to their car, the sensation of the Copper T being there has already gone.

Copper T is very, very effective in preventing a pregnancy and once you decide that you are ready for your next pregnancy, you will be fertile from the moment you have it removed - meaning thereby that it does not delay your child bearing.

A good contraception, that is within any woman's control and discretion, actually sets her free............
My wishes for you. Take care.
Dr Nirja Chawla
Follow-up: Semen dripped down to vaginal opening and wiped it. Having pots syndrome along with chest pain. Cannot take birth control. Will I be pregnant? 13 minutes later
you too :)
Answered by Dr. Nirja Chawla 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
All the best.