Semen culture showed growth of klebsiella and semen analysis was normal. Will it effect fertility condition?

Dear Sir,
I did my semen culture recently and observed heavy growth of klebsiella sps in semen. Along with semen culture, I also did semen analysis and the result was normal. At present my wife is undergoing infertility treatment. After seeing my result, I am very much under tension. Will it affect significantly my fertility conditions. We observed Gentamycin is sensitive to the organism.
Kindly provide your suggestion about this issue.
will this organism transfer to my wife. Does she has to take any precautions.
Thanking you
With regards
Posted Mon, 24 Jun 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 40 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

Klebsiella can result in a number of different types of infections including the urinary tract. The prostate is considered part of the urinary tract and is involved in the production of sperm.

The presence of bacteria in the semen can affect semen quality but this should improve once the infection is treated effectively. Since its sensitivity has been tested and it has been shown to be responsive the gentamycin, this would eradicate the bacteria. It may take a few weeks to months for the semen quality to improve.

In terms of transmission to your wife, klebsiella is not considered a sexually transmitted infection but since it was found in large quantities in your semen, you may want to wait till the antibiotic course is completed before sexual activity.

Signs or symptoms she may want to watch for would be vaginal discharge or discomfort, it may also present as a urinary tract infection with frequency of urination, discomfort on urination, abdominal pain.
She is not likely to have any symptoms but you can watch to see if any of these occur.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions
Follow-up: Semen culture showed growth of klebsiella and semen analysis was normal. Will it effect fertility condition? 40 minutes later
Thanks for your reply.
What was the probable reason for this infection. I do not have smoking, drinking and any other bad habit (that means no other relationship). I am drinking little water during the working hours.
I have small discomfort in the lower right part of abdomen and right testicles (not pain only slight discomfort) when i am sitting long time during working hours. However, I felt the pain came from the hip joint. Is it due to this infection. I had consulted urologist earlier and did Doppler and ultra sound scan. However, the result was normal. They suggested it may be due to my overweight (93 kg at present).

Will this infection effect my testicles and sperm production. Two days back I did my sperm test it was normal. Do I have to take any necessary action In addition to medicine. Such as taking rest etc.

Thanking You
With regards
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Klebsiella can colonize the skin, pharynx and gastrointestinal tract of humans.It is also found in the environment. It may have been transmitted from one of these surfaces into the urinary tract, bacteria can enter through the tip of the penis if you were in contact with a contaminated surface or some part of the environment that had this bacteria. It is not thought to be sexually transmitted.

Your healthy lifestyle is good but would not have impacted on transmission of this bacteria.

It is possible that the infection may have resulted in slight discomfort.

It would not have any permanent effect on your sperm production and quality once it is treated.
You just need to continue maintain a healthy lifestyle, this means: to eat well in terms of fruits and vegetables, use water, exercise and avoid alcohol and smoking like you are doing already.
Rest is also important, studies have recently showed that adults need at least 8 hrs sleep a day.

Please feel free to ask any additional questions