Semen analysis test says liquefication was over 60 mins. What does this mean ?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I just took a semen analysis test. My liquefication was over 60 minutes. Why does those mean? What kind of infection would cause this? Std?
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Normally semen coagulation takes place 20 to 30 minutes following ejaculation. Delayed liquefaction of semen more than 1 hour after ejaculation may indicate disorders of accessory gland function. It does not indicate any infection or STD. Diagnosis of the liquefaction problem should be made if there is absence of sperm in the PCT( Post-Coital Test ) .
PCT PostCoital Test should be done to access the clinical importance of Delayed Seminal Liquefaction. If PCT function report is normal then no further treatment of Delayed Liquefaction is needed. If sperms are capable of reaching the cervical mucus, problems of semen liquefaction are not clinically relevant.
Increased semen viscosity, which is unrelated to the coagulation-liquefaction phenomenon, signifies a disorder of accessory gland function and may effect the accuracy of assessment of both sperm density and motility. It is only clinically relevant when there are very few sperm in the post coital test.
You can get the test done at an infertility specialist.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Semen analysis test says liquefication was over 60 mins. What does this mean ? 19 minutes later
Thank you so much, what are examples of disorders of accessory gland function?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
The disorders of accessory gland include infection, hyposecretion, non inflammatory disorders, etc. A chronic infection of these glands may be transferred from infection of prostate, epididymis, testes or urethra.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Follow-up: Semen analysis test says liquefication was over 60 mins. What does this mean ? 11 hours later
I'm confused, you're saying not to worry about it but it probably is an infection?

Is this infection contagious, can I pass it to my wife?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
Prolonged liquefaction time does not affect the fertility if post coital test is normal. So, you should not be worried for fertility.
Chances of infection are there. You need a comprehensive profile of investigations including semen examination, culture, urine culture and examination, PSA levels, STD panel for gonorrhea, swab samples and a cystoscopy if needed to rule out any urethritis.