Semen analysis shows Sperm Motility-40%, Progressive Motility Score-35, Sperm Normal Morph-71% and Sperm Count - 27Mil/mL. Suggest?

Infertility Specialist
Husband just had a semen analysis and was instructed to consult a Urologist. We are trying to interpret the results to determine our chances. I have three daughters from a previous marriage and have never had fertility issues. However, I am now 41 and my last pregnancy and birth occured at age 34. My husbands results are are follows:

Semen volume - 1.8 mL
Semen liquification - <60
Semen pH - 8.0
Sperm Motility - 40%
Progressive Motility Score - 35
Sperm Normal Morph - 71%
Sperm Abnormal Morph - 29%
Sperm Count - 27MIL/mL

With those counts and my advanced maternal age, how likely would we be able to conceive naturally? We have tried for 3 months using ovulation testing and symptom management, and considering my past experience, I know my body very well and could always feel when I was ovulating and I was always right. Please let me know what you think. I would rather knowmsooner than later to avoid any prolonged stress, which could also decrease our chances. Thanks!
Posted Wed, 11 Sep 2013 in Infertility Problem
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, 1) Your husband's sperm count , motility and

Detailed Answer:

1) Your husband's sperm count , motility and morphology seem to be normal and not a cause for worry.

2) Your age is on higher side and I suggest you get evaluated for following blood tests on second day of your cycle: FSH, LH, AMH, TSH, Prolactin.

3) If possible get a transvaginal ultrasound examination to check follicular growth on second day of your cycle.

If all tests are normal you can try naturally. If not I suggest you go for IVF ( test tube baby) treatment.

Dr. Mahesh Koregol
IVF & Infertility Specialist