Semen analysis shows 110 million/ml, highly active motility 30%, while pH 6, liquification time is prolonged. Meaning?

May 2013
Hello Doctor,
I am 30 yr old, my sperm analysis is as follows, 110 million/ml, highly active motility is 30%, while pH is 6, liquification time is prolonged and motility at the end of 3 hrs is 20%. Me and my wife (28 yrs) are trying for baby, for past 6-7 months, with no success. Wifes reports are normal, she has undergone follicular study too for one month, is follicular study is advised for 3 successive months. Our doctor has suggested Hysteroscopy surgery this month is it necessary now or should we wait for some time. Should I or her start taking some taking supplements first. Also my wife is always tensed out over this, Please advise.
P.S. Sorry for cramping 2-3 queries.
Posted Sun, 28 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later

According to your seminal analysis:
Sperm count is normal.
Normally the overall motility should be around 50%. In case of high sperm count, little bit of low motility can be taken as normal.
Normal seminal PH is 7.1 to 8.0. Acidic PH indicates possibility of blockage at seminal vesicles etc.
Prolonged liquefaction time may indicate problem with male accessory glands like prostate, seminal vesicles etc.
But sometimes age, days of abstinence etc. can affect the PH value.
So you once discuss this with your doctor and if he suggests go for repeat test once. After that treatment required for you can be planned.
You didn't mention for what reason your doctor recommended hysteroscopy for your wife.
If you mention that, we can discuss better.
Your wife should take folic acid prophylaxis from now-onwards.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.