Semen analysis showing pus cells. What are the findings from semen culture?

Hi , my semen culture report result is " Coagulase negative staphylococcus (CoNS/CNS) skin contaminant isolated" . Does this mean that it is only skin contaminant and I do not need medication ? I went for semen culture because the semen analysis had shown pus cells of unit 4-6 /HPF. My doctor said that skin contamination is not a cause of concern and didn't prescribe any medicine . It looked strange to me.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If only skin contaminant, no medication required

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in to us.

Your doctor is quite right sir. Bacteria present on the skin can easily contaminate a semen sample, which can show as an infection. But, when a skin contaminant is identified, and there are no other abnormalities with the semen sample, the test is considered to have a normal result; and yes, this will not require any medication.

For your satisfaction, you could repeat the test, but this time with correct techniques for sample collection, in order to avoid skin contamination. You can then correlate the new test results with the old, to confirm/rule out an infection.

I hope this information helps you sir. I hope your new test results prove that all is well, and you are healthy.

Best wishes.